Language requirements

International applicants without a German-language university entrance qualification and without a first degree from a German-language university must provide proof of sufficient German language skills required for the degree programme in accordance with the admission regulations.

On this page you will find information on which examinations, tests and certificates are accepted at HMTMH as proof of sufficient language skills at the various levels for enrolment. HMTMH follows the guidelines of Leibniz Universität Hannover which have been adopted by the Presidential Board in the following form. From the winter semester 2024/25, only the certificates listed below will be accepted in order to ensure adequate language skills. It is possible to take the DSH examination at the Leibniz Language Centre of the Leibniz University of Hannover. It is also possible to attend language courses at the LLC. You can find information on how to register here.

TDN 3: Artistic and artistic-educational degree programmes, Acting

For the majority of artistic and artistic-educational Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes (exceptions are listed below) as well as for the diploma programme in Acting the Hanover University of Music, Drama and Media requires language skills at TestDaF examination (TDN) level 3 or another language examination at a comparable level.

The HMTMH only accepts the following certificates:

TDN 4: Musicology, theory and communication degrees

For subsequent degree programmes, the Test DaF examination (TDN) level 4 or a language examination at a comparable level is required: 

  • B. A. Communication Studies
  • M.A. Media and Music
  • MA. Media Management.
  • M.A. Music Research and Music education
  • M. Mus. Music Theory

The HMTMH only accepts the following certificates:

For the M. A. Music Research and Music educuation degree programme (only specialisations in musical ethnology and Jewish musical studies), alternatively to German it is possible to provide sufficient knowledge of English. Further information can be found in the admission regulations.

For these degree programmes, language skills at an appropriate level should be demonstrated at the time of application if possible, but at the latest at the time of enrolment.

Study programmes with no official German language requirements

For the M. Mus. Chamber Music and Solo Class programmes, you do not need to provide proof of German language proficiency.

Advice for international students

The International Office is happy to advise international applicants and students on all aspects of their stay in Germany. You can find more information on the pages of the International Office.


Last modified: 2024-02-22

To top